How does home insurance protect you? Many people make their home insurance payments every month without really thinking twice about it. What are you paying for, though? This type of protection is one of the most valuable types of coverage because it gives you a level of protection against the unknown. When something happens, this type of policy could be exactly what you need to help you to recover from the financial loss and get back to life. Nevertheless, many people don't realize just how much protection this type of plan can cover.
Every home insurance policy is different. How much coverage and the type of coverage you have may be different. Take the time to verify the details of your policy. Typical coverage may include:
- Fire and lighting damage
- Windstorm or hail coverage
- Riot and civil commotion coverage
- Damages caused by aircraft
- Smoke damage
- Vandalism or malicious mischief
Many home insurance policies also provide coverage for falling objects, explosions, damaged caused by vehicles and damage brought on by the weight of ice, snow and sleet. Some policies go even further than this, depending on your carrier. Other levels of coverage may include:
- They can also provide protection from accidental discharge or overflow of water, such as what can come from air conditioning systems, failures in plumbing, failures in heating or automatic fire protective sprinkler systems.
- If these systems freeze and damage occurs as a result, your policy may also offer coverage for this type of loss.
- Your policy may protect from hot water heating systems, automatic fire protective systems and other systems in cases of cracking, tearing or burning.
- Some policies may also provide protection from earthquakes, floods, war, nuclear accidents, sinkholes and mudslides. Though this coverage may have to be added onto your existing policy.
Most home insurance policies are versatile enough to allow you to add coverage for specific risks you may face. However, some have exclusions, such as not covering floods if you live in a high-risk flood area. Read through the documentation and coverage on your existing plan to determine what kind and how much coverage it offers. If it’s not enough or does not provide enough protection, seek out a more comprehensive level of protection.
Are you covered? Call Harrell Insurance Agency at (843) 766-5533 for more information on Charleston home insurance.